Tuesday 4 December 2018

What a teenage can teach you

This happened quite recently.  I was in the car with my daughter, on our way to her school, one final time, to collect her UPSR result.  Honestly, as most moms would, I felt more nervous than her.  I was not expecting a great result, but one thing I prayed was for her to get the best result that would best define her effort, which I could see towards the final month before the exam.

To ease the pressure, I made a small talk with her.  The conversation went like this:

Me:  How do you feel?  Are you nervous?
Nicole: Not really. I just hope that I won't get 2 E.
Me: Haha...I know, it must be for your Math and Science.  Don't worry, you have tried your best.  Whatever your result will be I am sure it is the best for you.  I am still proud of you no matter what.  But, I still am expecting A for your English.
Nicole:  I think I get A for English.
Me: How can you be so sure?  Was the question easy for you?  Did you check your grammars?
Nicole:  I just know.  And yes, I did check my grammar.
Me:  Do you think Fanella will score the highest in UPSR?  Isn't she the smartest one in your school?
Nicole: I think so. She is very smart.
Me:  Are you and her close friends?
Nicole: Not that close.
Me:  She looks like a nerd.  Don't you think so?
Nicole: No. Why do you say she's a nerd?
Me: Because it seems like she doesn't mix around and doesn't have that many friends.
Nicole: She has friends.  I don't think she's a nerd. Why do you think that?
Me: Because well...she LOOKS like a nerd.  (I mean, because the way she carried herself around, dressing and specs...but I didn't say this out loud).
Nicole:  You can't judge a person just by looking at her appearance.  Do not judge a book by its cover.....

Then I stopped her before she went on and on and on about being judgmental towards others.  I told her that finally I understood why her teacher chose her to be one of the peers counselors.  And that was a valuable lesson to always keep in mind.  Should that advice came from an adult, the impact wouldn't be as much.  Coming from a younger person, well that hit right in the chest. BTW, her result was way beyond my expectation.  God blessed us with the gift which I am sure, is just one of the earliest ones, I know more and more blessings will come in the future.  Thank God for this, and for everything we have been given up until today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment